My little sister is a big fan of the movie Despicable Me, specifically of the little Minions.  The other day we were talking and she said that she was looking for a toy version of the Minions but was surprised that she could not find any.  I was also surprised, the things are pretty cute looking and based on the DVD advertising they are clearly the big selling point of the film; it seemed like it would be an obvious move to make toys of the the little things.  It turns out that they do make a few plush minions, but they are pretty crude claw game type of things (a few pieces of fabric with screen printed eyes, etc.).

I decided that I could to it better.  The resulting polar fleece minion (about 20" tall)  is shown above with more info and pics after the jump.

I still had some polar fleece left over from the Proton Plush project.  I started with a simple Illustrator file an a picture of a Minion to collect the basic dimensions, I then created the pattern pieces by hand.

One of the hardest things about doing a plush project is deciding how much detail/how complex it needs to be.  Its important to balance the level of detail so that it looks accurate to the original and looks like its a quality product but if its too detailed the stitches become to complex and impossible (or really time consuming) to actually construct.  I decided that it was important that the eyes/goggles actually popped out from the head and that based on the size I could make a semi-realistic looking pair of overalls with actual pockets.

The whole project cost less than $20 to construct.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jonathan,
me and my Family look the Movie firts Time Yesterday. And now – we love the Minions.
Can you send me your Illustartor Master please.
Greeting from Germany

Nils
Stilzey.com

Michellie-mom said...

Do you have a digital copy of your pattern pieces. ..would love to make 1 for my daughters upcoming Despicable Me party ...she's turning to and is obsessed with this movie :)

Post a Comment