For our last assignment for our fashion design class we were given one week and a movie and had to design and build a dress inspired by the movie  I was given the recent James Cameron film Avatar.  Being an industrial designer and not a fashion designer,  I wanted to stay away from the over the top types of dresses that you often see.  I wanted to create a dress that someone could and would actually wear.

My primary inspiration came form the blues and greens in the war paint the Navi use.  The green stripe was achieved by masking off and spray painting the back side of the fabric.  I was also inspired by the braided headdresses that the Navi wear and integrated it into the strap design.  Drawing from some of my ID experience I molded styrene to form the straps and braided leather over them. The result is a suspended dress   with some unique cut outs.  Because I molded the styrene the dress will hold its shape around the body but is still flexible enough to wear.

More pictures after the jump.




0 comments:

Post a Comment