Last year I had the unique opportunity to take a module on yacht design. It was a very intensive 5 week class that took me from knowing almost nothing about boats (except for port, starboard, bow and stern from my rowing days) to designing a yacht of my own. My yacht is 48' long and based on the Wally power yacht aesthetic and has some really cool features including the light wood decks and contrasting green cushions. The main feature that makes this yacht special is the large sunroof located on the fore deck which provides natural light to both the galley and master bedroom below. Aside from that I spend a great deal of time exploring the deck layout so that it would provide enough seating options in both the sun and shade that you could easily entertain a large group while still providing areas for quite solitude or private conversations.

Also I have to say how happy I am with the yacht model. I put it in the water having no idea if it would even float or not. Turns out, not only does it float but its center of buoyancy is almost exactly where I intended.

Orthographics after the jump.



1 comments:

Nick Grivas said...

I like the natural light idea. Not that I spend any time on yachts but my happiness in any given space is directly tied to the amount of sunlight that comes in.

Post a Comment