Last year for Comic Con, Andrea and I went as DC's greatest couple, the Green Arrow and Black Canary.
When I designed the Green Arrow suit, I wanted it to be practical, but still be heavily influenced by the iconic comic design.  With Black Canary I wanted to do the same.

The first practical problem, the leotard, which is basically fighting in a Playboy bunny outfit.  That's a tough one because without the leotard and the corresponding fish nets the Black Canary doesn't have many iconic markers.  So I kept what I could:

Most importantly is a Black Bodice.  I kept the lines of a corset top but added panels that would make it look more like high tech armor.   I also kept the crop top jacket, the gloves, the hair, the boots and the choker.  Originally I paired black pants with the bodice, but after building it out and taking it to Comic Con I felt like it wasn't iconic enough.  We ditched the pants for the shorts and fish nets (which still look more practical than a swim suit bottom).

Photoshoot and detailed costume pics to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment